“How you make others feel about themselves says a lot about you”
For the past few days, but especially today, the theme of ‘influences’ keeps cropping up everywhere….
– Part of this year’s psychology course includes the joy of writing a 40-60 page portfolio about myself. The lecturer explained today what this needs to include: a life history, timeline etc., containing key events, successes and failures and key influences on your life. how certain people have been positive or negative influences on your life, and how this has led you to where you are and who you are today.
– I’ve recently started reading through a little book I bought called “Don’t sweat the small stuff…and it’s all small stuff.” It’s full of tips and guidance on how to stop the little things from overtaking your life, but also gives suggestions of ways to live a more fulfilled, happy, peace-filled life. I quite like it, and there are a few things in it I’ve already tried to put into practice (which I may well write about in time), and there was a bit I read the other day which said “the people you meet are all here to teach you something. Your job is to determine what the people in your life are trying to teach you.”
– In the devotions given at the end of songsters (choir) tonight, this quote (or something along these lines) was given: “Some people in your life will leave a mark, some will leave a stain.” What I took from that was: some people have a positive impact on you, others not so much.
– I noticed someone’s Facebook status tonight about ‘legacy‘, and the mark we leave. Whether now or once we’re gone from here – what impact are we having? Positive or negative? Good or bad? From a Christian sense, are we doing it right? Are we showing God’s love in the way we act, the way we behave?
– I re-watched a couple of Grey’s Anatomy episodes tonight (because why not?!), and despite it being an episode that I’ve watched about 4 times previously, a particular line stuck out to me tonight.. “We don’t know why we meet the people we meet, but..” then the character went on to say how she wouldn’t be where she was without the other guy’s influence.
All of this has made me think. I’ve written about influences before, (As I’ve just noticed, I even mentioned it in my last post!) but it’s something I always find interesting. (Which is good given how much I’m going to have to analyse my influences for my portfolio!!) What kind of impact and influence am I having on a day to day basis, both on friends and family, and on total strangers? What specific influence are people in my life having on me? Positive or negative, what are they teaching me? Are they making me stronger or more confident, or simply teaching me the need to be more patient? There are people I know for certain have and have had a huge influence on me, and there are others I won’t even be aware of. Either way, I’ll be having the same influences on other people, and that still scares me quite a lot!!!
So basically, everything seems to be revolving around the theme of influences, and I don’t know why. It feels like one of those times when God is being extra creepy and is trying to tell me something, but I’ve no idea what. But I’m hoping if I keep listening, I’ll find out!! Anyway I’m not sure this post had much of a point, so I’ll sum up with a lovely quote from Wicked:
“I’ve heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason, bringing something we must learn and we are led to those who help us most to grow, if we let them and we help them in return. Well I don’t know if I believe that’s true, but I know I’m who I am today because I knew you” – Wicked