So i thought i’d do a post revealing a little bit more about myself. Likes, dislikes, pet hates, those kind of things. Be prepared for lots of lists and the odd bit of light hearted ranting. 🙂
- TV – I have to say I watch a fair bit of TV. Nothing particularly intellectual or necessarily brilliant acting, but just stuff I enjoy. I’m quite a fan of police/detective-y shows, soaps, chick flicky dramas and the odd comedy show.
CSI, CSI:NY, NCIS, NCIS LA, Castle, Rizzoli & Isles, Eastenders, Coronation Street, River City, Neighbours, Miranda and 90210 all have a spot on my series link. I also recently developed a love of One Tree Hill.
My all time favourite however, is Friends. It’s a timeless classic. It was funny at the time and it’s still hilarious, and yet there’s a sincerity about some of it that gives it something extra. I’ve got the full dvd set, and can recite the lines to most episodes!!!
- Music – I know lots of people say they have a really wide taste in music, but I’m not joking when I say I must have one of the weirdest, most eclectic mixes of music on my iPod. Pretty much every genre is in there somewhere, and putting it on shuffle is always a risky strategy. From cheesy pop to brass bands, indie to classical, rock to soundtrack, r&b to religious, and even the odd bit of ‘rave’ music… i’ve literally got it all.
I put it on shuffle to get some examples of the weird and wonderful selection:
Robbie Williams > Derick Kane > Michael Jackson > Of monsters and men > Dolly Parton > James Blunt > Black Eyes Peas > ISB > Busted > Phil Collins > Razorlight > Disney Magic Kingdom Soundtrack Music > Coldplay > Phantom of the Opera > Christina Perri > Dirty Dancing > Jason Mraz > Usher > Boyzone > Paramore > Wicked soundtrack > Royal Philharmonic Orchestra > Pink > Steps
And that was all finished with ‘We wish you a Merry Christmas’. I mean, what more could you want from a music collection? It’s safe to say it’s varied.. the one’s above are only a tiny example (i’ve got 18.3 days worth of music on my iTunes… and i don’t even have everything on there…). I do like music…
- Holidays – my favourite time of year! There is absolutely no denying that throughout my life so far I have been completely spoiled when it comes to holidays. So far i’ve visited 16 different countries, and have been to the USA 6 times. France, Cyprus, Crete, Tenerife, San Francisco, LA, New York, Florida, Washington DC, Italy, Mexico just to name a few of the truly wonderful holidays i’ve been lucky and privileged enough to go on. The main thing i love is the sunshine and the heat (when you’re used to Scottish weather, some sun can make all the difference!!!), but I love being able to visit different countries and see different landmarks and experience different cultures. And most importantly – eat lots of different food!!!! There are so many places i want to see, and I can’t wait to go to the US in 5 weeks time (woooo!!!!). Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam (from a geeky higher geography perspective, i’m quite excited for this bit haha!), Hollywood, LA, and all with my fav people. What more could you want?!
- Eating noises – If there’s one thing that drives me absolutely insane, it’s eating noises. Loud crunching, chewing, slurping, eating with mouth open, just any noises that arise when people are eating. I can’t handle it. As both Matt and my parents would clarify, as i frequently shout, huff, and literally leave the room cos it drives me so crazy. I don’t even know why, but it just gets under my skin so much! There will be times i can be sitting absolutely fizzing in silence because someone is doing one of the above crimes, but it’d be too rude to say so (friends, adults etc.). It’s actually crazy how much it winds me up, but it does. And from a family of fairly noisy eaters, it’s safe to say i don’t enjoy big family meals, from that aspect anyway!
- Talking on the phone – I detest it. Never ever try phoning me, because i just will not answer. (as Matthew will again oh so frustratingly vouch for..my missed calls list is pretty much just his name over and over!) As a somewhat socially inept human being, phone calls just aren’t my thing. I hate having to think on the spot, and the awkward small talk (or failing that, awkward silences). I always end up getting flustered and talking a load of rubbish, and i’d much rather send a text.. that way you’ve got more time to think of a response! Roslyn and phone calls = does not happen.
- The Hairdressers – Again, my social awkwardness plays a part in this one too. One thing i hate about the trip to the hairdressers is the awkward small talk they insist on making with you. I know it’s their job, but i’d much prefer to have my hair chopped at in silence. (plus, i always worry they’re not really paying attention if they’re blethering away?!!) I know for a fact that the stylist couldn’t care less where i’m going on holiday, and the girl washing my hair isn’t remotely interested in what i’m doing with my weekend (even if i do almost always say ‘not much’). So that’s one aspect i don’t enjoy at all. I equally can’t stand the sinks they use to wash your hair. What even are they?! Whoever came up with them clearly had no neck muscles. I think they were designed to create pain in your neck to distract you from the fact that the cheery assistant is scalding your scalp whilst you answer ‘yes’ to “is the water temp okay”? (is it just me that always says yes regardless?). The final awkward hairdressers moment i dislike is the part when they use a mirror to show you the back of your head. What sort of reaction are you really meant to give?!! “Oh yes, that’s lovely. That cut really suits the back of my head.” I mean really, what even? So again, Roslyn + Hairdressers = awkward experience i like to avoid!
Now clearly this is just a tiny insight into a few of the things that make me ‘me’, and the dislikes are of course purely trivial. Like i said in my last post, i really have nothing to complain about at all! and people should totally smile more!!
“I can’t change the world
Cos tryin’ to make a difference makes things worst
It’s just an observation I can’t ignore
That people should smile more”